Registering your Dog or Cat

Information on registering your Dog or Cat

How do you register your dog or cat? 

You must register your cat or dog with your local council. You will need to present:

  • the fee
  • a signed Lifetime Registration (R2) Form
  • a copy of your cat or dog's Permanent Identification (P1A) Form or Verification of Existing Microchip (M1) Form completed by an Authorised Identifier, or Certificate of Identification.
  • proof of desexing, if applicable. This may take the form of a Certificate of Sterilisation or receipt containing microchip number from a Vet or a statutory declaration from a previous owner stating that the cat or dog has been desexed and is permanently incapable of reproduction.
  • any other document entitling you to a discount, for example, a pensioner concession card or recognised breeder identification.

Your local council will issue a Certificate of Registration to you after your cat or dog is registered. The Certificate will include the registration information recorded on the NSW Companion Animals Register. If your contact details change you must notify a local council within 14 days of the change as penalties may apply. Keeping your contact details up to date will assist in the return of your cat or dog should it become lost or stray.

Does my farm/working dog have to be registered?

A working dog is used primarily for the purpose of droving, tending, working or protecting stock, and includes a dog being trained as a working dog.
Hunting dogs and guard dogs do not have any special status as working dogs under the Companion Animals Act. Just because an animal is kept for purposes other than that of a pet, does not necessarily mean it is a ‘working dog’.

Under the Companion Animals Act, dogs that meet the definition of a ‘working dog’ are exempt from microchipping and registering when “ the working dog resides on land defined and rated as farmland under the Local Government Act 1993.”

All other working dogs MUST be microchipped and registered. However, a nil dollar (free) registration fee applies. 

It should be noted that all working dogs are valuable animals and owners are encouraged to have their dogs microchipped and registered so in the event of being lost, they can be re-united with their owners. 

What happens if I don’t identify or register my dog?

The failure to microchip or register your dog as required by the Act attracts large penalties if the dog has been declared dangerous or is a restricted breed even larger penalties apply.

Should your dog be impounded or involved in an attack and Councils investigation reveals that the dog is not microchiped and/or registered you will be required to microchip and register the animal(s) within Seven days other wise you could receive a penalty notice.

Who will have access to the registration information?    

All the information held in the Companion Animals Register is protected by privacy legislation and administered by the State Government. There are also penalties under the Companion Animals Act for unauthorised access or improper use of personal information held on the Companion Animals Register.

If a member of the public finds your dog, he or she will not be able to gain direct access to information on the Register. It is a legal requirement that anyone who catches a stray or lost animal must return the animal to its owner (if they can be identified) or to Council. Council’s Ranger staff will be able to scan the microchip so that you can be contacted and your animal safely returned.

Dogs are required to wear a collar and tag which gives information to allow you to be contacted directly and should for instance contain the dogs name and your phone number as a minimum.

Oberon Council